Beef cheeks are full of muscle. It needs to be cooked slowly for a long time on low heat. This way, the beef cheeks will melt in your mouth.
Red wine and Port Beef cheeks with Potatoes
- BBQ, smoker or slow cooker
- Sharp knife
- Large Pot
- 2 Beef cheeks number will vary depending on how many people your feeding
- 1 orange for orange zest and juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 Capsicum
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- 700 ml Red wine your choice of red wine
- 500 ml Port your choice of port
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp black cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 6 Potatoes
- 140 g tomato paste
- Open beef cheeks from packaging and give them a wash
- Place into pot and add 700ml red wine and 500ml of port
- add pepper, salt ,mixed herbs and tomato paste
- Cut up capsicum , onion and garlic roughly and add to pot .Grate skin off orange into pot(orange zest then squeeze the juice of the orange into pot.)
- Cover pot and put into fridge for minimum of 4hrs to let the red wine, port and orange zest soak into meat. Leaving it in for longer gives a stronger flavour of the wine and port.
- Pull out of fridge after 8hrs., i charcoal cook my beef cheeks but this can also be done in a slow cooker. Add 500ml of water before putting into cooker.
- Place on charcoal /smoker at 125 degrees Celsius for 8rs with every 2 hrs checking beef cheeks and stirring the pot and adding water as needed.
- At the 6hr mark I like to thicken the sauce up with corn flour. Put two tablespoons of corn flour into a bowl add cold water and stir until all powder is gone then add to pot while stirring the pot mixture.
- after 8hrs the beef cheeks will be falling apart at the touch of a fork. time to start the potatoes
- peel potatoes and cut up into quarters,bring water too boil and add potatoes.If you want to you could mash your potatoes
Can you over cook Beef cheeks?
You can’t over cook beef cheeks. They just go tender and eventually will fall apart into the sauce.